Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cat's Cradle

A long time ago I made a quilt with a block similar to today's.  I used graph paper to design my quilt.  I'm pretty sure I made templates and then drew around them and cut them out with a scissors, sewed them all together, hand quilted the quilt, and then gave it to my grandparents for their 46th wedding anniversary.  One day while talking to my grandma I asked her if she enjoyed sleeping under the quilt.  She said they would never sleep under it because it was too pretty to use.  I was so upset that they wouldn't use it...I had worked so hard on it and then for it not to be used was just upsetting.  To my grandmother though she knew the hours I had put into it and she couldn't think of possibly ruining it, although she did assure me that it was always put back on the bed in the morning.



I think this picture was taken in 1991 before I gave the quilt to my grandparents.  Obviously my then boyfriend (now husband) and I were much younger...and thinner. :)  I can't believe I hand quilted all those heart wreaths.  If you click on the picture you can see the quilting.


Today's block is similar, but a little more complicated.  They are both 12-inch blocks, this one just has more pieces.  This is block 234 of 366.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

6 comments:

Monica said...

Beautiful! I am so impressed.

Sherry said...

The quilt you made for your grandparents is so beautiful. I love th blocks you are making now too. Did you say 235 of 366, that is a lot of blocks.

Anthea said...

Hi Kirsten I thought I should come catch up on your block making, you are continuing to do a superb job!
I guess your grandparents think they are doing the right thing, preserving what you so lovingly made them. At least better for it to be on their bed than away in a cupboard. Still it's hard for you to be upset like that.
My SIL made a stunning quilt for her nephew, only to see it lining the dog bed the next time she visited her sister. Sadly there is no accounting for how people will regard what is made for them.

Wendy said...

Lovely post Kristen, the quilt you made your grandparents is gorgeous and your hand quilting is amazing! Cute seeing the photo of a young you and your hubby.

Katherine said...

such a beautiful quilt and story

Diya said...

I did not quilt ever. Your quilt is so beautiful. How long do you take to make such a big one? Am Mazed at the patience beautiful quilters like you have.
Hopping from the Fun Friday blog hop. Would be glad if you do visit me on my blog.