Saturday, July 6, 2013

Still Sewing Everyday In July

I have actually been sewing everyday so far in July.  I am surprised that I have kept up with it, but I am also realizing that it is something that I love to do, and when I make time for it, I am a much happier person.


The two firecracker guys were finished yesterday.  I found the pattern at Creative Breathing and had a lot of input from my son and husband.  They decided these firecrackers should have a top hat  and a fuse to light.  Since they actually showed some interest, I figured I should oblige them.  They were so fun to make I'm thinking about another felt project...


This little quilt was a kit from Country Threads called Star Spangled Itty Bitty Quilt.  It is small, being only 10 by 12 inches and it uses the little flag, but you know, I had such a fun time with it.  Being that it is so small I felt like I could do some experimenting with stitches (I used a triple blanket stitch around the star, and I free motion quilted some waves in the red stripes).


I also got up the nerve to free motion quilt little stars in the corner blocks (I used my walking foot for these so I could keep my lines straight).


I added some diagonal stitching in the stars.  The best part of making sure I sew something each day...


I am making myself try something that I may not be comfortable trying on a larger quilt.  With a small one I can move it around easily, and if it turns out really terrible I can take it out quickly or just leave it and not worry about it (I did take out two of the corner stars and redo them).


I now have three finished projects to help celebrate the fourth in years to come and I see quilts in my future that are not all stippled or quilted in the ditch!  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Your fire crackers are so cute and I love the mini quilt, gorgeous!!