Monday, August 13, 2012

Sunbonnet Sue and Willow on My Design Wall

I have always loved Sunbonnet Sue blocks and quilts, but I have never made one because I didn't like them being so big...and frankly, I didn't want to applique them all by hand.  I know, I love applique, but I wasn't so interested in doing a whole quilt of them...until now.


This is a 4-inch finished block and it is so cute I can hardly stand it.  How fun would it be to make a little pincushion out of this, or even a tiny quilt?  You can use the tiniest of scraps to make her, and I got a chance to practice my raw edge machine applique.  It is just fun that this block came up today, and I will explain in a minute.  This is block number 226 of 366 and it is a 4-inch block.


I have been looking for the Don't Look Now! patterns for a long time in the United States.  I finally found a few on Shabby Fabrics and quickly purchased them...and then I put them aside because honestly, there are a thousand and one pieces and it is all raw edge applique.  I even emailed Kellie this weekend and she assured me she never does hand applique.  So...I started cutting...


The leaves on this are tiny!  There are 97 of them in that pile.  I still have quite a few flowers to cut out and the birds and the bottom.  I decided if I am ever going to see one of these finished I just have to jump in with both feet.  I am taking a class with Kim Diehl in a few weeks (all about raw edge applique) so I figure at least I will have a head start on the class, or I will go there having messed this all up and will learn a lot.  At any rate I will never know unless I try.  I did finish a project today and I entered it in the State Fair, but I forgot to take a picture of it before we left...so I will have to do that after it comes home in about a month.  I should just keep that camera hanging around my neck.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

No comments: