Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bachelor's Puzzle And A 9-Patch Tutorial

Today's block has some more 9-patch blocks in it and half-square triangles which means it was a nice block for me to piece.


How's this for an odd size, it is an 11-1/4 inch block...that is going to work with a lot of other blocks?! It is number 158 of 366.


As I was piecing my 9-patches I thought I should show you just how easy they are to piece (just in case you are on the fence about joining the quilt along).  I start by cutting my strips and sew three strips into one, always pressing towards the darker fabric.  This is where it is very important to have a good 1/4"  seam allowance.  If you don't, your strips will bow.  I also always cut my 42" strips in half as when I start sewing strips that long together, I sometimes have a problem keeping my 1/4" seam allowance.


I then cut the strips into smaller pieces that measure the same width of my first individual strips (in this case I am working with 1-1/4" pieces).


Here is where the pressing becomes important.  By having the seams pressed in opposite directions they work together when you sew them (you can click on the picture to make it bigger).


And before you know it you have four 9-patch blocks.  See how quick and simple it is to piece these?  You can have a quilt made in little to no time!  The information for the 9-patch quilt along is here.  I'm linking with WIP Wednesday.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

2 comments:

Leo said...

thanks for the tutorial on the 9 patch - it looks easier than cutting all the squares an sewing them together.

Wendy said...

Lovely block Kristen and great tutorial, thanks!