Sunday, April 6, 2014

Folding, Sorting, and Organizing

I started a little over a week ago with my dehoarding of my sewing room.  It all began when my husband said he would make the sewing center we had purchased the plans for in 1997, and he finally had the time to make it.  I've had dreams about this thing, anxiously awaiting the day that my sewing machine finally fit into its own cabinet and the fabric would flow across the top freely, no dangling, pulling, tugging while working on large quilt tops, or wobbling of the sewing machine when I maybe got going too fast.  I decided that since I was going to have this beautiful object in my sewing room, I should be cleaning out and organizing.  What I did not realize is how much a person can stuff into two closets.  :)


I have found projects that I had completely forgotten about, ones that I am so excited about making I almost stopped folding/organizing/decluttering and started working on them.  This is not all of it, it is just one half of one closet.  The problem I am having now is how exactly to organize it all.


My husband did make some modifications to the plans (like making the drawers to my specifications so my thread could stand up in the drawers).  Tomorrow is the big day it will enter the sewing room.  I can hardly wait to start filling the drawers with sewing treasures, the only problem...I'm not sure I can wait to do a little sewing.

This may be a good time to start doing a stash report again seeing as I have enough fabric to keep me busy for a while.  I donated some fabric and my numbers will be a bit off being that I'm starting in April, but it will be fun to see what I can use before the end of the year.

Used this Week: 15 yards
Used year to Date: 15 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 0 yards

Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

7 comments:

Cheri the Quilting Nanny said...

I don't know if your stack of stash or the thread drawer is the more amazing! I just love looking at the migration of the colors..reminds me of candy in glass jars lining the walls at my fav hangout as a kid.. Knotts Berry Farm general store! Happy sewing in your new room!

barbara woods said...

On my a simply great blog I am making a swoon quilt out of that fabric I won from you over a year ago

Rebecca said...

Where you shared
" ones that I am so excited about making I almost stopped folding/organizing/decluttering and started working on them"
Is what happens to me. You are soooo much stronger willed then I am cause I stop and work on the "projects" that I find.
can't wait to see your new sewing cabinet.

Mara said...

I'm in the same boat as you and Rebecca, and it totally made me laugh I swear I end up making more of a mess than cleaning up since I get all excited and start pulling out more stuff and not putting more stuff away. Have fun with your new cabinet.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm excited for you and I can't wait to see (and read) all about it!

RobyGiup said...

Well, now that I see your fabric and thread stashes, my three cartons of fabrics and my box of threads don't seem that much!!! :-)
I perfectly understand when you talk about almost stopping organizing to start working on forgotten projects, I had a home moving last year and I was in the same situation when I unpacked my fabrics!

suemac said...

I have to pack up and get ready to move. I need to do some destashing but it all might go to our new place completely unsorted.