Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bridal Wreath

When I flipped the calendar this morning at 8 a.m. I almost passed out.  I was so thankful we had an early soccer game and really no plans for the rest of the day...which was definitely a good thing because it took me almost 8 hours to finish this block.  No it isn't perfect, but today that is okay.  I love this little block, and since I spent almost 6 hours thinking about how I was going to do this (because there were no instructions or measurements for the circle), I thought I'd show you how I finally figured out how to make it.


I started out by cutting a piece of freezer paper the size of the finished block (6 inches).  


I then folded the freezer paper in half twice.


I used my son's compass to make two arcs, the first was at 2-1/2 inches, the second at 2 inches.


I then cut the arcs out (remember it is like cutting a snowflake, you don't want to have the folds on the top).  I then had a 5-inch circle.


I ironed the freezer paper to my fabric and cut it out, also cutting the inside curves to make it easier to press.


I then folded my background fabric in half twice marking the center.


At last I lined up my circle on the background fabric centering it with the folds.


Here is my finished block.  It is number 154 of 366 and it is a 6-inch block.  Like I said before it isn't perfect, but I am really happy with it.  I think I'm most happy with the fact that I figured out how to get a circle that worked.  I can't wait to use this block, as I know I'm going to smile when I see it, always remembering that I actually figured it out on my own! :)  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

5 comments:

Tina said...

Lovely block.

Wendy said...

Very clever Kristen, it looks perfect to me! Very pretty too.

krisgray said...

Great instructions! When I made one block from the calendar it never occurred to me, until I was ready to sew, how much I relied on those construction instructions that come with patterns.

Joyce Carter said...

This is very pretty, Kristen. You did a great job getting it all cut out and put together. It really looks nice. I am loving all your blocks.

Kaye R said...

Very cool. I have been MIA, flu......... Just caught up on your latest blocks. You have a lovely set.